Eureka Springs in Carroll County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Three Flat-Irons
The original Flat-Iron Building was constructed within sight of Basin Springs in the year 1880. It housed the town's first banking establishment and was the first structure made of brick among hundreds of wood buildings. The unusual three-sided, four story structure featured wood trim and a wraparound porch between second and third floors.
In 1890 a fire began in the nearby Perry House Hotel which destroyed several buildings, including the Flat-iron.
A second Flat-Iron was constructed on the site within a short time. The three-story building was made of brick with elaborate limestone ornamentation and a pressed metal cornice. In 1900 the building housed the Frisco Saloon with business offices and a lodge hall on upper floors.
In 1925 the second Flat-Iron succumbed to fire. The brick and stone remains were taken down and the site stood vacant until 1989 when the third Flat-iron was constructed, incorporating architectural design elements of both previous structures
Erected by the Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Community Development Partnership.
Location. 36° 24.146′ N, 93° 44.22′ W. Marker is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Center Street, Eureka Springs AR 72632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Perry House - Basin Park Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Law Offices of F. O. Butt (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stone Walls (within shouting distance of this marker); The Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Citizen's Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish-American and World War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Basin Park Sycamore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Southern Hotel (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka Springs.
Also see . . . Eureka Springs Preservation Society, Inc. (Submitted on February 15, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 15, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on December 20, 2014. 5, 6. submitted on December 18, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.