Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Seat of the County of York
The first courthouse was built in 1697 and located at the corner of Main and Ballard Streets. Over the next 300 years, five different structures served the County from that site. The first was torn down and rebuilt to accommodate growth; three were destroyed by fires; and the fifth was remodeled and renamed York Hall after a larger courthouse was built a short distance from the old site in 1997.
Erected 2010 by York County.
Location. 37° 14.255′ N, 76° 30.434′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Virginia, in York County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Water Street and Ballard Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located along Yorktown's Riverwalk. Marker is in this post office area: Yorktown VA 23690, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. USS Yorktown (here, next to this marker); Kiskiack The York River (within shouting distance of this marker); York River Ecosystem (within shouting distance of this marker); Steamboats on York River (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Hot-Air Balloons (within shouting distance of this marker); Kiskiak Indians (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Virginia Institute of Marine Science (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
More about this marker. Completed in 1818, the third courthouse at Ballard and Main was blown off its foundation on December 16, 1863, by an explosion of Union Army gunpowder stored in its chambers during the Civil War. Photo courtesy of Library of Congress.
York-Poquoson Courthouse, 300 Ballard Street, completed 1997. Photo courtesy of York County.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 230 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.