Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
G. Krug & Son
The modest beginnings of the shop date back to 1810, when farmers traveling to and from the market stopped to have their horses shod and their wagons repaired by blacksmith Andrew Schwatke. In 1841, Schwatke transferred the enlarged business to Andrew Merker, who, in turn, sold to Gustav A. Krug, a young Bavarian immigrant and ancestor of all the subsequent Krug family owners. This distinguished firm's long record of fine blacksmithing includes restoration work for Colonial Williamsburg and for the Vieux Carré in New Orleans.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, G. Krug & Son and William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.564′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 West Saratoga Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Provident Savings Bank (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Neighborhood Goes to Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); Building Atop the Burying Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sleep of Young Innocents (approx. 0.2 miles away); John McDonogh (approx. 0.2 miles away); The McDonoghs of Baltimore (approx. 0.2 miles away); Westminster Church and Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Among the Illustrious Men (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker. The marker features a photograph, labeled "Members of G. Krug & Son posing ca 1895".
Also see . . . G. Krug & Son website. (Submitted on March 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,199 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.