Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
(Old Croom Mansion)
Goodwood's original Italianate style was characterized by floor to ceiling windows, a cupola on the roof which admits light, air and ventilation, and a broad veranda. The home was made of locally produced brick, from Richard Shine's factory, which was scored with stucco to simulate stonework. The interior includes massive doors, 8 marble fireplaces, one of the oldest frescoed ceilings in Florida and a mahogany staircase with semicircular flights to the second floor.
Goodwood's owners included: Arvah Hopkins, Elizabeth Arrowsmith, Mrs. Alexander Tiers who remodeled the house creating its current appearance in 1911, Florida State Senator William C. Hodges and Margaret Hodges Hood. Upon Margaret's death her second husband, Thomas Hood, established the Margaret E. Wilson Foundation in her memory and the home and gardens were opened to the public in 1992 with an official opening of the main house in the spring of 2000.
Erected 2009 by Florida State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Sue Chenault Bratton, State Regent.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 30° 27.497′ N, 84° 15.436′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker can be reached from Miccosukee Road. Touch for map. This marker is located in a parking area to the east of the mansion. When entering the grounds, bear right and drive to parking area past the café. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Miccosukee Road, Tallahassee FL 32308, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goodwood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Plantation Cemetery At Betton Hill (approx. ¾ mile away); The Tallahassee Democrat (approx. 0.9 miles away); Woman's Club of Tallahassee (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lafayette Township Grant (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lafayette Township Grant (approx. 1.2 miles away); Leon High School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Rutgers House/Tallahassee Garden Club Center (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
Also see . . . Goodwood Museum & Gardens. (Submitted on July 26, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 611 times since then and 41 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 26, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker area. • Can you help?