Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
school, conducted by Dr.
and Mrs. Richard Henry
Lewis, opened in 1877
and closed in 1902, was
in this house.
Erected 1950 by Archives Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number F-28.)
Location. 35° 15.532′ N, 77° 34.618′ W. Marker is in Kinston, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is on East King Street (State Highway 11/55), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between South East Street and South Independence Street. Marker is in this post office area: Kinston NC 28501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kinston Hangings (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harmony Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caswell (approx. ¼ mile away); Lenoir County WW I and WW II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Town Of Kingston (approx. ¼ mile away); CSS Neuse (approx. ¼ mile away); CSS Neuse Confederate Ironclad Gunboat (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cat Hole (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kinston.
More about this marker. House not standing at present time
Regarding Lewis School.
Lewis became principal of Kinston Collegiate Institute in the fall of 1877. The school, opened in 1871 by Joseph H. Foy, had counted Charles B. Aycock among its students in the two years prior to Lewis’s arrival. In 1882 Lewis resigned from the Kinston Collegiate Institute in order to take the helm of Judson College in Hendersonville. Unwilling to lose their beloved principal, citizens of Kinston paid subscriptions to purchase a school building on King Street so that Lewis could start a new academy. The school, called Kinston College, opened in the fall of 1882 with 153 students. However, in 1889 Lewis decided to accept the offer from Judson College and moved to Hendersonville. He remained there until the college was sold to pay debts and in 1893 Lewis returned to Kinston.
Back in Kinston Lewis and his wife opened a classical academy called Dr. Lewis’s School. The couple operated the school until they retired in 1902. They were honored at a reunion of their students that year. Unable to attend, Governor Charles B. Aycock wrote of Lewis, “His pupils are
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.