Near San Antonio in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1842, Jacob Wells was the first recorded settler in the area. His sister, Elizabeth Jane Osburn, and her husband, David, arrived in 1853 followed by Lybron Kersey, Lewis Gaskin and others.
The first Prospect Church/School, built of logs in 1855, was located southeast of here.
In 1887, David and Elizabeth Jane Osburn deeded two acres north of here, near Blue Sink, for the next church and school. They were built of pine lumber by Jack Osburn and Jack Gaskin. The cemetery adjoined.
This congregation joined the Florida Methodist Conference and at one time had 153 members. The group disbanded in 1941 and members transferred to other area churches.
The second Prospect School continued at this location until the 1890s when a third school was built about three miles south. It continued until 1942 when the students transferred to Dade City schools. S.M. "Med" and Mae Gaskin bought the building and used the material for an addition to their home, which had been the Sand Pond School on Ft. King Road south of LeHeup Hill.
The Prospect Cemetery no longer exists. Six graves were moved to nearby Williams Cemetery in the 1960s.
Erected 2004 by The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and The Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee.
Location. 28° 18.616′ N, 82° 14.735′ W. Marker is near San Antonio, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is at the intersection of Prospect Road (County Road 579A) and Handcart Road (County Road 579), on the right when traveling west on Prospect Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio FL 33576, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Jovita (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pasadena Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lake Jovita Club (approx. 2.2 miles away); St. Anthony School (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Anthony of Padua Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); City of San Antonio, Florida (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Old Fort Dade (approx. 4.2 miles away); Former St. Rita's Catholic Church (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 29 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 13, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Would appreciate a photo of the back side of the marker -and- a wide view showing the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?