Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Town Of Kingston
The Town Of Kingston In 1762
And To Honor Its First Trustees
Francis McLewean - Richard Casewell
Simon Bright, Jr, - John Shine
This tablet is placed by the
Lenoir County Committee Of The North Carolina
Society of Colonial Dames Of America
The name Kingston, given in honor
of the reigning king, George Third, was
changed to Kinston in 1784 in keeping
with the spirit of American Independence.
Location. 35° 15.565′ N, 77° 34.858′ W. Marker is in Kinston, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is on South Queen Street (State Highway 58) near East King Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located on the front lawn of the Lenior County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Kinston NC 28501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lenoir County WW I and WW II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); CSS Neuse (within shouting distance of this marker); Caswell (within shouting distance of this marker); Harmony Hall Kinston Hangings (about 500 feet away); CSS Neuse Confederate Ironclad Gunboat (about 600 feet away); Cat Hole (about 700 feet away); John Taylor Wood, CSN (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kinston.
Also see . . . Kinston, North Carolina from Wikipedia,. It has been the county seat of Lenoir County since its formation in 1791. Kinston is located in North Carolina's Inner Banks region. (Submitted on September 19, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.