Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Confederate Outpost

 
 
Confederate Outpost Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2009
1. Confederate Outpost Marker
Inscription. In August 1861, while U.S. forces were constructing the Arlington line three miles to the east, the Confederates established a fortified outpost on the high ground about 200 yards west of here, to guard the bridge by which the Georgetown - Falls Church Road crossed four mile run. In October they withdrew to Fairfax Court House. The Federals then established a signal station at the top of the hill and constructed Fort Ramsay just across the County Line.
 
Erected 1969 by Arlington County Virginia. (Marker Number 23.)
 
Location. 38° 52.483′ N, 77° 8.055′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Wilson Boulevard and North Manchester Street, on the right when traveling east on North Wilson Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tracks into History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Falls Line (about 700 feet away); Bluemont Junction (about 700 feet away); Rosslyn Station (about 800 feet away); Bluemont Junction, ca. 1934
Confederate Outpost image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2009
2. Confederate Outpost
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Southern-Shreve Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Mary Carlin House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
High Ground West of the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2009
3. High Ground West of the Marker
The ground west of the marker is heavily developed. No traces of the wartime entrenchments or fortifications exist.
Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 22, 2009
4. Memorial
This red oak and stone
were placed here as a
bicentennial memorial to
the men in gray who
served on Upton Hill
by
Arlington Chapter
United Daughters
of the Confederacy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then and 88 times this year. Last updated on September 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 27, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement