Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner
of Brig. Gen. George D. Wagner, U.S.V.,
Upon First Occupation of Chattanooga.
(Marker Number MT-55.)
Location. 35° 3.065′ N, 85° 18.252′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on East 5th Street east of Georgia Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in front of what appears to be a former residential mansion that has been converted into a church building for the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.". Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 East 5th Street, Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Bragg's Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (within shouting distance of this marker); Chattanooga's First School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (about 600 feet away); Swaim's Jail (about 700 feet away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. ¼ mile away); Abby Crawford Milton (approx. ¼ mile away); First Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on July 20, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.