Virginia Beach, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Eastern Shore Chapel
Originally named for its proximity to the eastern shore of the Lynnhaven River, the first Eastern Shore Chapel was built elsewhere by 1689. The vestry of Lynnhaven Prish commissioned the building of the third Eastern Shore Chapel in 1754. This brick structure located north of here on the site of the second chapel (circa 1730), had a gable roof skirted by modillion cornices, typical of Virginia's simpler colonial churches. Because of the expansion of the Naval Air Station Oceana, this chapel was dismantled in 1952. Built to the northwest of here, the current church was completed in 1954 and took selected remnants of the interior fabric, including the gallery steps and pews from the 1754 building.
Erected 2002 by Department of Resources. (Marker Number K--277.)
Location. 36° 49.005′ N, 76° 0.428′ W. Marker is in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Marker is on Oceana Boulevard (State Road 615) 0.1 miles south of Bells Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia Beach VA 23454, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Flame of Hope (within shouting distance of this marker); Flame Of Hope Peace Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Virginia Legends Walk (approx. 2½ miles away); de Witt Cottage (approx. 2½ miles away); Neighborhood Alert! (approx. 2.7 miles away); Who's in the neighborhood? (approx. 2.7 miles away); The War of 1812 / President – Little Belt Affair (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia Beach.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 22, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.