Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Battery Schenck (1899-1923)
Battery Schenck, named for First Lieutenant William Schenck who was killed in action during the Philippine Insurrection, was the second rapid fire battery constructed at Fort Morgan. Completed on June 4, 1900, the battery would sit without guns for three years before finally receiving its armament of two Model 1898, 15-pounder Rapid Fire guns in September of 1903. A third position was added to the battery in 1904 with its Model 1902, 15 pounder Rapid-Fire gun being mounted in December of 1906.
Facing West, Battery Schenk’s guns were capable of firing ten rounds a minute and provided defensive coverage of the mine field in the shipping channel of the bay. Gun crews for the guns were members of the 170th Coast Artillery Company. As the mine company responsible for the mine operations at Fort Morgan, the bulk of its men were available to man the battery once the mines were in place. In 1920, the U.S. Army declared all Model 1898 15-pounder Rapid-Fire Guns obsolete. During June and July of that year, the Army removed both of these guns from Battery Schenck and scrapped them. The battery’s Model 1902, was removed and transferred to Fort Pickens, Florida.
Location. 30° 13.766′ N, 88° 1.408′ W. Marker is in Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County Touch for map. Marker located on the grounds of Fort Morgan State Historic Park across the parking lot of the park's museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Bowyer War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Model 1918M1 155mm Gun and Model 1918A1 Carriage (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery Thomas (1898-1917) (within shouting distance of this marker); Noble Leslie DeVotie (within shouting distance of this marker); 32 Pounder Sea Coast Defense Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Overland Campaign (about 300 feet away); The Citadel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
Also see . . . Fort Morgan, Guardian On The Bay. (Submitted on November 8, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 570 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 8, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.