Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Peggy Stewart House
Has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
This site possesses National Significance
In commemorating the History of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department of Interior
Erected 1974 by National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 58.893′ N, 76° 29.22′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Hanover Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 Hanover Street, Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spanish 18-Pounder (within shouting distance of this marker); San Cayetano (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fashioned Anchors (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Made from USS Lexington Recycled Plastic Waste (about 300 feet away); 14cm 3.5 inch Gun U.S. Naval Academy Museum (about 400 feet away); Preble Hall (about 400 feet away); Commander William Lewis Herndon (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Regarding Peggy Stewart House. "The Stewart House was built between 1761 and 1764 for Thomas Rutland, who sold the house in January 1772 to Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, agent and receiver-general for the last two Lord Proprietors of Maryland. He was president of the Maryland Council of Safety in1775 and became president of the Maryland Senate when it was formed in 1777. Jenifer served in the Continental Congress from 1778 until 1782 and was a delegate to the Federal Convention in Philadelphia. In July 1772 Jenifer sold the house to Anthony Stewart, an Annapolis merchant who owned the cargo ship Peggy Stewart, which Stewart was forced to burn by Annapolis citizens outraged that he had paid the unpopular tea tax. Stewart fled to England in 1779 and his wife sold the house back to Jenifer that year. Jenifer sold the house to Thomas Stone, one of Maryland’s delegates at the 1776 Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence, in 1783, then re-acquired
Also see . . . Peggy Stewart House (Rutland-Jenifer-Stone House). AA-724, National Register Form MDIHP (Submitted on November 11, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Politics • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 563 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 11, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.