Middleburg in Clay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Thompson - Chalker Docks
Samuel B. Thompson owned and operated dock and warehouses at the foot of Thompson St. (now Wharf St., name changed about 1951). Thompson's warehouses were burned by Union soldiers in 1864. After the Civil War, Albert S. Chalker operated the docks and on July 7, 1873, was also granted the right to operate a ferry across Black Creek about 200 yards upstream from th docks.
Location. 30° 4.138′ N, 81° 51.641′ W. Marker is in Middleburg, Florida, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Wharf Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. note: Wharf Street continues to private driveways. No public access. Marker is in this post office area: Middleburg FL 32068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Middleburg (a few steps from this marker); Middleburg Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Heilman (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Roy Stanley Geiger,United States Marine Corps (approx. 0.8 miles Town of Penney Farms 1927 (approx. 6.8 miles away); Camp Chowenwaw (approx. 9.1 miles away); Camp Blanding (approx. 9.6 miles away); St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middleburg.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.