Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
70th Ohio Infantry
—Ewing's Division —
Cockerill's Brigade, Ewing's Division, 15th Corps
Major William B. Brown.
November 25, 1863
On the morning of November 24th, this Regiment with its Brigade crossed the Tennessee River and advancing with General Sherman's column in the afternoon, occupied the ridge beyond the north end of Missionary Ridge without opposition.
During the 25th, the Regiment supported a battery which was engaged with the enemy's artillery on Tunnel Hill. On the 26th, the regiment took part in the pursuit as far as Graysville.
The Regiment suffered no loss.
Erected 1908 by the State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-300.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Sherman Reservation, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 marker series.
Location. 35° 4.29′ N, 85° 14.351′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from North Crest Road north of Lightfoot Mill Road. Touch for map. This historic marker is located in the Sherman Reservation, up on the hill called the "Sherman Heights," and
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 53rd Ohio Infantry (here, next to this marker); Cockerill's Brigade (here, next to this marker); Earthworks (a few steps from this marker); Army of the Tennessee (a few steps from this marker); 55th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 6th U.S. Missouri Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 8th U.S. Missouri Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 57th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. Because of its location in the Sherman Reservation this tablet cannot be reached by car and can only be reached by foot. I would suggest parking your car in the provided parking area on Lightfoot Mill Road and then walking north on North Crest Road. You will reach a spot on this road where there is a locked gate barring further vehicle traffic on the road, but not foot
According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “3' x 2' bronze inscription tablet with decorative border mounted on low marble pedestal. Describes the unit's activities on November 25, 1863.”
Also, according to the National Park Service, the "Bronze tablet stolen in 1995," and then, "Rehabilitaed in 2013."
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.