Hope Hull in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Abner McGehee / Early Alabama Entrepreneur
Born Feb. 17, 1779 in Prince Edward County, VA, nephew of John Scott, founder of Alabama Town which in 1819 joined New Philadelphia to become Montgomery. Reared in the Broad River area of northeast Georgia, he became an affluent planter, tanner and general trader. When Creeks lost much of their land in the 1814 Treaty of Ft. Jackson, "Alabama Fever," the lure of much very fertile land, caused many Broad River residents, among them Abner McGehee, to emigrate to Alabama. He bought a huge plantation in the area now known as Hope Hull, named for a Methodist preacher who brought his family into the Church in 1809.
Early Alabama Entrepreneur
McGehee was a very prosperous farmer and entrepreneur. In 1833 he built Planter's Hotel on Court Square and rebuilt it when it burned. He was a promoter of Alabama railroads, including the 76-mile line from Montgomery to West Point, GA, one of the first in the state when its construction began in 1836. Instrumental in starting the iron industry in Alabama, in 1830 he hired ironmonger Daniel Hillman to erect a forge in Roupes Valley, later known as Tannehill. A devout Methodist, he founded the Alabama Bible Society in 1851. His philanthropies were unexcelled in Alabama in his lifetime. He died on Feb. 19,
Erected 1997 by the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation and Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 15.436′ N, 86° 22.444′ W. Marker is in Hope Hull, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Folmar Parkway south of Bill Joseph Parkway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. At the cul-de-sac paved end of South Folmar Parkway, take the dirt farm road through the woods to the south and make a right at the T intersection. The marker and cemetery is on the right at the end of the northerly dirt road. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery AL 36105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Teague Road (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Teague Road (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Bethel Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); Pintlala School (approx. 5.6 miles away); Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern (approx. 5.6 miles away); Federal Road, 1805, (approx. 5.7 miles away); Beulah Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 27, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.