Danbury in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Country Lanes & City Streets
– The Museum in the Streets –
— Danbury, Connecticut —
Many Danbury land records were destroyed during the British raid of 1777. Historic newspapers, old deeds and early maps help us piece together some of the earliest place names of our city.
Parts of Danbury were lost to Bethel when it broke away in 1855 including Pinchgut, Wolfpits, and Puppytown. Other colorful names have simply disappeared over time such as Mashing Tub Swamp and Stubble-lot Road.
The Borough of Danbury began to officially name its streets in 1846 and by 1878 Towne Street had become Main Street. Barren Plain Road changed to White Street, Horse Island Lane is now Liberty Street and Whittlesey Lane became New Street.
The two oldest street names in Danbury belong to Town Hill Avenue and Deer Hill Avenue. These names were given in the earliest years to the ridges running east and west of the original settlements along the southern end of Main Street.
Park Avenue was known as Squabble Hill for a time. The name came from a Revolutionary War tale of a man named Porter and his encounter with British troops. Upper Elm Street was once called Rabbit Hill due to the hordes of the cottontail creatures that
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the area of Elm, Spring and New Streets was called ‘Little Lebanon’ having been populated by Syrian and Lebanese immigrants. Slovaks lived in neighborhoods near Lake Avenue and Golden Hill. Portuguese families settled in the mainly Italian ‘Barbary Coast’ section of lower Liberty Street. Germantown was developed by hat manufacturer William Beckerle to house the German immigrants who worked in his factory.
As the borough grew, its limits were extended three times in 1823, 1846 and 1862. A map from the early 1890s illustrates outlying one and two room school houses and shows the following districts: Miry Brook, Starrs Plain, Long Ridge, Middle River, Beaver Brook, King Street, Pembroke and Great Plain.
Many of these place names remain in use today.
Erected by Danbury Museum & Historical Society. (Marker Number 31.)
Location. 41° 23.359′ N, 73° 27.125′ W. Marker is in Danbury, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Wooster Street and Deer Hill Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Wooster Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Danbury CT 06810, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inventions & Innovations (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Industrial Strength Danbury (about 500 feet away); Farming & Agriculture (about 600 feet away); Oldest Cemetery 1684 (approx. 0.2 miles away); 19th & 20th Century Immigrants (approx. 0.2 miles away); Diversity in Danbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Arrivals (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Circus Comes to Town (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danbury.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Country Lanes & City Streets.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.