Rutersville in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1840, Rutersville College was chartered by the fourth Congress of the Republic of Texas as the Republic's first Protestant college. The legislation specified the school should not be exclusively for the benefit of Methodists, and it was patronized by families of various faiths. Rutersville students were noted for their loyalty to neighbors, sometimes spending days away from class, pursuing Indians.
The Rev. Chauncey Richardson, A.M. (1802-1852), whose grave is nearby, was first president of the college. The campus was half a mile southeast of this marker.
After the Civil War ended in 1865, the original inhabitants of Rutersville sold their property. It was later purchased by German immigrants, whose descendants now live here in large numbers.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4395.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange TX 78945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Asa Hill of Rutersville (here, next to this marker); Oldenburg (approx. 2.8 miles away); Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1867 (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fayette County, C.S.A. (approx. 4.9 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Rabb's Prairie (approx. 5 miles away); Bradshaw-Killough House (approx. 5.3 miles away); City Library Building (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Rutersville article in Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on February 3, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Rutersville College article in Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on February 3, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.