Near Northeast in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hub, Home, Heart
—Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
Many of the neighborhood's Grek immigrants started up the economic ladder selling produce from huckster wagons, then renting stalls at the wholesale markets before opening their own, often food-related, businesses. In the 1940s the Pappas and Callas families operated produce stands at Union Terminal Market on Florida Avenue. The Cokinos family ran the nearby Goody Shop confectionery beginning in 1910. Greeks owned the Rendezvous Club and the Paramount, Kavakos, Chaconas, and Bacchus grills along H Street between here and Seventh
Although African American families had long lived in the neighborhood, deeds originally restricted some blocks, including this on, to whites. African American educators James L., and Gustava Eubanks operated Washington Junior College of Music at 12th and G before moving it to 1252 Maryland Avenue in 1947.
Noted African American architect Lewis Giles, Sr. (1893-1974) grew up on Linden Place, which you will pass on your left as you walk to Sign 13.
To reach Sign 13, turn right on 13th Street, cross H, and turn left.
Discover More ...
Just across G Street from this sign is Linden Court, one of the area's inhabited alleys. In 1897 more than 100 African American families lived in tiny, flat-fronted rowhouses alongside stables and workshops. The houses on the north side of the alley were demolished in 1937 to make way for the Atlas Theater, but enough remain to give the flavor of the old community.
Trains and streetcars created the Near Northeast neighborhood around H Street. The B&O Railroad's arrival in 1835 made this a center of energetic, working-class life. Workmen living north of the Capitol staffed the Government Printing Office, ran the trains, stocked the warehouses, and built Union
H Street bustled with shops and offices run by Jewish, Italian, Lebanese, Greek, Irish, and African American families. During the segregation era, which lasted into the 1950s, African Americans came to H Street for its department stores and sit-down restaurants. Most businesses welcomed all customers.
Then came the civil disturbances in the wake of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination in 1968. Decades of commercial decline followed. Just off H Street, though, the strong residential community endured. The 2005 opening of the Atlas Performing Arts Center signaled a revival, building evocatively on H Street's past. Hub, Home, Heart is a bridge to carry you from that past to the present.
Hub, Home, Heart: Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail is an Official Washington, DC Walking Trail. The self-guided, 3.2-mile tour of 18 signs offers about two hours of gentle exercise. Free keepsake guidebooks in English or Spanish are available at businesses and institutions along the way. For more on DC neighborhoods, please visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 12.)
Location. 38° 53.932′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Quiet Place (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Culture and Commerce (about 600 feet away); Enterprising Families (about 800 feet away); The Hub (approx. 0.2 miles away); District of Columbia Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); The City Woman (approx. ¼ mile away); The Changing Faces of H Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Brickyards to Buildings (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Near Northeast.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2014, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.