Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Slave Quarter

 
 
Slave Quarter Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2014
1. Slave Quarter Marker
Inscription. This is the only documented log slave quarter still in existence in Delaware. This 1 ½ story framed quarter was 24' by 16' with a porch. The interior walls were lath and plaster.

Governor Ross had as many as fourteen slaves. Some probably lived in the mansion or other barns.

Following the Civil War and the end of slavery, this building was relocated northeast of the mansion. In its new location on the property, the roof was raised to make a two story house for tenant farmers.

The Ross family owned the property until 1924 when they were forced to declare bankruptcy. As the property changed hands, the tenant farm was neglected and fell into disrepair.

In 1989, the quarter was discovered by a great-great-grandson of Governor Ross while he explored the property then owned by the University of Delaware. The university president appointed an eight member research team to document the 19th century log structure that had been incorporated into the two story tenant house.

The University of Delaware donated the quarter to the Seaford Historical Society in 1992.
 
Erected by Seaford Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 39.434′ N, 75° 37.096′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware
Slave Quarter Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2014
2. Slave Quarter Marker
, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from Ross Station Road. Touch for map. on the grounds of the Ross Mansion at 23669 Ross Station Road. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Family Home of William H. H. Ross (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Ross Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seaford Hundred (approx. 0.8 miles away); Seaford Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. one mile away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. one mile away); Stein Highway (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
Also see . . .  Ross Mansion Quarter. (PDF) Historic Structures Report, University of Delaware Ross Mansion Quarter Committee, July 1992. (Submitted on February 12, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. African Americans
 
Slave Quarter discovered in 1989 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2014
3. Slave Quarter discovered in 1989
Close-up of photo on marker
Restored Interior image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2014
4. Restored Interior
Close-up of photo on marker
1861 Insurance Map image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2014
5. 1861 Insurance Map
Using the map from the Ross's 1861 insurance policy, the original site was located and excavated. In 1995, the quarter was moved back to its original site . After restoration, a special dedication ceremony was held August 2, 1997.
Close-up of map on marker
Slave Quarter image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2014
6. Slave Quarter
Slave Quarter image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2014
7. Slave Quarter
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 12, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement