San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The San Angelo Standard
In 1884 J. G. Murphy and W. A. Guthrie, co-workers at the "San Angelo Enterprise", bought the weekly newspaper operation and began the "Standard". The first four-page edition was published on May 3 of that year. Early stories included coverage of frontier scalpings and the life of the Fort Concho soldier. The "Standard" became an eight-page newspaper within six months and continued as a weekly until 1905, when the first issue of the "Evening Daily Standard" appeared. The newspaper and its leaders have played major roles in the development of San Angelo and surrounding areas.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5421.)
Location. 31° 27.815′ N, 100° 26.316′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on Harris Avenue east of Irving Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 34 West Harris Avenue, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles B. Metcalfe (about 400 feet away); Tom Green County Courthouse City Hall (about 500 feet away); Original Tom Green County (about 500 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Tom Green (was about 600 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Chadwick Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Also see . . . San Angelo Standard-Times Online. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.