Near Elkmont in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Old New Garden Cemetery / New Garden Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Old New Garden Cemetery
This cemetery is one of the oldest in Limestone County and is listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried here including Patsy Elmore, widow of a Rev. War veteran, along with War of 1812 veterans: Thomas Martindale, William Levesque, Andrew McWilliams and William Malone. The headstone of Barbara Fisher, who died in 1831, is the oldest dated stone in the cemetery, but other undated and in some cases unmarked graves are thought to be even older. Most of the dated burials occurred during the 1850-1869 period when outbreaks of influenza or disease may have swept through the area. Union forces occupied North Alabama throughout most of the war and during the tragic “reconstruction” period that followed. The deprivation and hardships suffered by local residents during the period may have contributed to the high death rate.
The graves in the lower part of the cemetery are thought to be those of slaves and possible casualties of the nearby battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle fort. Col. Lathrop, the Union commander of the fort,
New Garden Cumberland Presbyterian Church
This church was one of the earliest in the area and formed the nucleus of the pioneer community of New Garden. It had its beginning at a camp meeting in 1818. The meeting, held along Muddy Creek, about a mile N.E. of here, was conducted by Rev. Robert Donnell, assisted by Albert Gibson, Robert Steele, Adam Burney and William Levesque.
In 1820 the New Garden congregation was organized by Rev. John Comahan at a meeting held in Robert Steele's barn. There were ten people present, several of whom were members of the Steele family.
The log church was built here on New Garden Hill in 1823, standing at the north end of this old cemetery. The building is thought to have faced north with a wagon road leading up the hill to it. The current paved road did not exist at that time, although the lower part of it may follow the original wagon road.
The land on which the church was built belonged to Jeffery Murrell at the
A school was built there, which was used until marauding Union troops tore it down and used the timber in the construction of buildings at Sulphur Trestle Fort. The congregation moved to Elkmont after 1878 and later disbanded completely.
Erected 2011 by the Limestone County Historical Society.
Location. 34° 54.374′ N, 86° 57.454′ W. Marker is near Elkmont, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of New Garden Road and New Garden Road (County Route 98), on the right when traveling south on New Garden Road. Touch for map. Marker and cemetery are located where short north and south spurs of New Garden Road from Hays Mill Road combine to form New Garden Road running east. Marker is in this post office area: Elkmont AL 35620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elkmont, Alabama / Tenn. & Ala. Central Railroad (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church Commerce (approx. 1.8 miles away); Downtown Scenes (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sims Settlement (approx. 4.8 miles away); Hernando De Soto in Alabama (approx. 5 miles away); The Saturn Legacy (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkmont.
Also see . . . Limestone County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.