Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Stop # 10
In 1835, Stasburg consisted of 78 dwellings and a population of 470 people. The earliest shops and businesses were on Queen Street and Holliday Street was known as Market Street. For many years it was the parade route for Memorial Day celebrations on May 30th. Young girls in white dresses carried baskets of flowers on to the cemeteries to be strewn over veteran's graves.
Hotel Strasbug was originally built as a private hospital in 1902. It was operated by Dr. Mackall Bruin, who also made house calls on horseback. The nurses' home was next door and a three story carriage house was at the rear. Years later it became a place of lodging and dining. Many may remember the delicious meals prepared by Mrs. Murphy for the hotel patrons. In 1987 the owners restored it in the Victorian Age elegance you see today.
One block away, on the southwest corner of Holliday and King Streets stood the Zea residence. The large home, stable and outbuildings were razed in 1952 to build the brick bank building and parking lot you see today. In 1856, Edward Zea and John Pinkney began their mercantile business in a log building facing King Street. The intersection of King and Holliday Streets was “Town Square”. Landowners at each corner obtained a small amount of land when officials did away with the Square. It required an Act from the General Assembly of Virginia to sell the public property, but in 1885, the portion with the town well and pump became the Zea's front yard.
Mrs. Mary Goodshell lived on the corner of Hilliday and Queen in the early 1900's. Her flock of geese often gathered on the sidewalk. Pedestrians had to cross the street for fear of being goosed!
Erected by Strasburg Rotary. (Marker Number 10.)
Location. 38° 59.264′ N, Touch for map. The marker is in front of Taylor House (originally the residence of Dr. Bruin). Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 South Holliday Street, Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Signal Knob (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Fertile Land (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (about 800 feet away); Stonewall’s Surprise (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Train Raid of 1861 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on May 24, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 18, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.