Marianna in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Abstract Oﬃce
J.A. Ormond purchased the building in 1910 and moved it from Market Street to this location. Indexed records of all Jackson County real estate transactions from 1847 were housed here until 2000. The building was renovated to its present appearance in 1965 by Bob and Pat Crisp.
Florida Land Title and Trust Company was operated by J.A. Ormond and Robert F. Crisp in this building for almost 90 years.
Erected 2001 by the Chipola Historical Trust.
Location. 30° 46.404′ N, 85° 13.613′ W. Marker is in Marianna, Florida, in Jackson County. Marker is on Jefferson Street (U.S. 73) 0.1 miles south of Lafayette Street (Road 90), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2865 Jefferson Street, Marianna FL 32446, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Marianna (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson County (about 300 Confederate Soldiers Monument (about 300 feet away); Cavalry Fight in Downtown Marianna (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Woman's Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Luke Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marianna.
Regarding The Abstract Office. Dr. William S. Wilson arrived in Marianna during the 1840's and formed a partnership with Dr. William H. Whitehead in 1857. Although he participated in the fighting at the Battle of Marianna, he was able to elude capture and assisted tremendously in caring for the wounded afterward. Dr. Wilson was a member of Captain Jesse Norwood's Home Guards.
Also see . . . Jackson County Times article. (Submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.