Near Bath in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Bath, New Hampshire
Settled in 1766 by Jaasiel Harriman whose cabin was near the Great Rock. His nine year old daughter Mercy carried dirt in her apron to the top of this unique rock formation. Here she planted corn, pumpkins and cucumbers, making the first garden in town.
Three well-preserved covered bridges are to be found here. Among its many fine homes is the Federal mansion built by Moses P. Payson in 1810.
Erected 1978 by New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. (Marker Number 121.)
Location. 44° 9.577′ N, 71° 57.934′ W. Marker is near Bath, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on U.S. 302, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located within a roadside rest area, on the west side of Route 302, a half-mile south of the village of Bath. Marker is in this post office area: Bath NH 03740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bath Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Haverhill-Bath Bridge (approx. 3.6 miles away); Rogers Rangers (approx. 4 miles away); Ebenezer MacKintosh (approx. 5.1 miles away); Soldiers of Haverhill Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away); Colonel Thomas Johnson (approx. 6 miles away in Vermont); Bayley-Hazen Military Road (approx. 6.4 miles away in Vermont); Old Court House (approx. 6.4 miles away in Vermont).
More about this marker. A footpath leads from this location to Mercy's garden.
Regarding Bath, New Hampshire. Bath contains six properties listed on the National Register, including the Bath Covered Bridge and the Swiftwater Covered Bridge, both listed in 1976, and the Haverhill-Bath Covered Bridge, listed in 1977.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 374 times since then. Last updated on June 19, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photo 1. submitted on December 11, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.