Joseph in Sevier County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Town of Joseph and Pioneer Log Cabin
Several families returned on September 10, 1872, accompanied by Stake President Joseph A. Young, son of Brigham Young. He laid out the townsite for the present town of Joseph from the survey of Iver Isaacson and named it "Joseph City" in honor of himself.
The first leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Joseph were James Hale, George Wilson, and Iver Isaacson. Mrs. Alonzo Farnsworth (Mary) was the first school teacher. Her pupils ranged in age from four to twelve years.
A two-room, brick schoolhouse was started in 1894 and served until 1904 when a two-story, four-room addition was built. This was used until 1955. The bricks from that school were used to construct this monument.
The pioneer log cabin was located on the original 160 acres homesteaded by David A. Giles on March 13, 1881. The site was across the Sevier River, east of the present
Erected 1995 by Clear Creek Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 478.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 38° 37.587′ N, 112° 12.972′ W. Marker is in Joseph, Utah, in Sevier County. Marker is on North 100 East, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 North 100 East, Joseph UT 84739, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Alma (later Monroe) 1864-1867 (approx. 5 miles away); Camp Alma Relic Hall (approx. 5.1 miles away); Elsinore (approx. 5½ miles away); Pioneering Utah (approx. 6.7 miles away); Fort Omni – Richfield (approx. 11.9 miles away); Academy Hall (approx. 11.9 miles away); Richfield Presbyterian Church and School (approx. 12 miles away); Richfield Carnegie Library (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.