Elkhart in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Elkhart High School
1910 - 1972
—Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart —
Elkhart High School was designed and built to match the existing Central School Building (bottom photo), creating a unified pair of buildings covering the whole block of High St. between Second and Third Streets.
Central School became a junior high school in 1911 and remained until 1952 when Northside Junior High opened. The building was then incorporated into a part of the High School.
In 1924, an auditorium and gymnasium were added. The vocational annex, the only building remaining today, was erected in 1928. The school continued to grow and by 1941 expanded into the old Trinity Methodist Church, located on the south side of the high school. In 1963 the school moved additional classes into the old Carnegie Library, which sat at the northeast corner of Second and High Streets.
The building of the “Senior Division” at Rice Field (now Elkhart Central) in 1966 created a separate “Sophomore Division”.
The creation of Elkhart’s second high school, Memorial, closed the last chapter of this grand building in 1972.
Source: 100 Years Elkhart High School by John A. Stinespring
Elkhart High School
Second and High Streets
Architect: E. Hill Turnock
Superintendent: E.H. Drake
Principal: S.B. McCracken
Elkhart High School, viewed from the southwest corner of Second and High Streets. Designed by E. Hill Turnock in 1911. This building replaced the old High School at the corner of Lexington and Vistula. That building became an elementary school known as Samuel Strong. Although no longer a school, it remains standing today. (photo courtesy of the Time Was Museum)
(Lower Photo Caption)
Central School, viewed from the southeast corner of Third and High Streets. Built in 1908, it served students from grades one through eight. In 1919 it became the Central Junior High School and later incorporated into the High School in 1952. (photo courtesy of the Elkhart Public Library)
Location. 41° 41.081′ N, 85° 58.444′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker is at the intersection of S. 2nd Street and W. High Street, on the left when traveling north on S. 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at southwest corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Elkhart IN 46516, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elkhart County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial (a few steps from this marker); E. Hill Turnock (within shouting distance of this marker); Elkhart Carnegie Public Library Charles Gordone (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Franklin L. Miles (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bucklen Opera House (approx. ¼ mile away); Elkhart River Wharves (approx. 0.4 miles away); C.G. Conn Company (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 266 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.