Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Niagara Land Purchases

 
 
Niagara Land Purchases Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
1. Niagara Land Purchases Marker
Close-up view of the text on the historical marker.
Inscription. To obtain land on which to settle Loyalists and dispossessed members of the Six Nations of the Iroquois, Guy Johnson in May 1781 and John Butler in May 1784 negotiated treaties with representatives of the Mississauga and Chippewa of this region. The Crown thereby acquired title to a tract of land 6.4 km wide along the west bank of the Niagara River between Lakes Erie and Ontario. These two cessions were later confirmed by a third treaty negotiated by John Graves Simcoe, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, and certain Mississauga chiefs at Navy Hall in December 1792.
 
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
 
Location. 43° 15.129′ N, 79° 4.32′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Castlereagh Street just west of Davy Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the grounds of the Niagara Historical Society and Museum, affixed to the outer wall of the Memorial Hall building, near the northwest front corner of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 43 Castlereagh Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Hall, 1906 (a few steps from this marker);
Niagara Land Purchases Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
2. Niagara Land Purchases Marker
View of the historical marker, affixed to the front wall, just to the left of the far left front entrance door to the Memorial hall building.
Janet Carnochan 1839 - 1926 (a few steps from this marker); The Canada Constellation (within shouting distance of this marker); William Kirby (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Niagara Apothecary (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Niagara on the Lake Historical District (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. Vincent de Paul Church, 1835 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Butler's Rangers (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Niagara Land Purchases Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 11, 2012
3. Niagara Land Purchases Marker
View of the historical marker, affixed to the outside wall, on the front northwest corner, of the Memorial Hall building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 524 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement