Caneadea Historic Camelback Bridge
1902 Flood destroyed wooden bridge
1903 Camelback Parker Truss Bridge built by Groton Bridge Works at a cost of $6,360.00.
1952 Wooden floor replaced with iron grating
1990 "Grandparents of the Future" chained themselves to the bridge in protest to the NY State Nuclear Siting Commission
1993 Allegany County closed the bridge
1995 Grass roots committee formed to save the bridge
1998 Bridge was accepted to the State and National Registers of Historic Places 2006 Extensive renovations are done to reopen the bridge 2007 Caneadea Bridge reopens and is rededicated
Allegany County Department of Public Works Federal Highway Administration New York State Department of Transportation Preservation League of New York State Save Caneadea Bridge Rededicated May 5, 2007
Location. 42° 23.122′ N, 78° 8.984′ W. Marker is in Caneadea, New York, in Allegany County. Marker is on East Hill Road (County Route 46) 0.2 miles east of New York State Route 19, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at the west end of the bridge. The bridge is closed to vehicular traffic as of 2012. There is an identical twin marker at the Genesee River Access Site 0.3 miles south on NY Route 19 from East
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Caneadea Historic Camelback Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Belfast World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam Memorial (approx. 3½ miles away); Township of Belfast World War I Memorial (approx. 3½ miles away); Belfast Civil War Monument (approx. 3½ miles away); Hanging Bog (approx. 7½ miles away); Centerville Town Hall (approx. 8.2 miles away); Angelica Cemetery (approx. 9.3 miles away); Early School (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Caneadea Bridge - Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Caneadea Bridge - Historic Bridges.org. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.