Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Baltes Pickel, who also attended the first service, built the first church and contributed generously to construction of the current church in 1749.
The Reverend Henry Muhlenberg, "Patriarch of the Lutheran Church in America", and two sons later served as pastors.
A royal charter was granted in 1767.
God's steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations (Psalm 10:5)
Erected 2014 by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey.
Location. 40° 40.374′ N, 74° 44.941′ W. Marker is in Oldwick, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oldwick NJ 08858, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (here, next to this marker); New Germantown
Also see . . . Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. (Submitted on August 5, 2014, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2014, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2014, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.