Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Sense of Sanctuary
A Safe Place for Friendly Competition and Open Discussion for Social Change
In 1948, the Young Progressive of Maryland and the Baltimore Tennis Club, held an inegreated match on the "white" Conservatory courts in Druid Hill Park. As 500 people looked on, the police arrived and ordered the march halted. When the players sat down in protest, they were arrested. The court case argued that the protesters were challenging the constitutionality of separate facilities based on race. The Appeals court upheld the conviction and the Supreme Court then refused to hear the case. But this challenge was an important chapter in the stormy end of segregation in this country.
The program of segregated facilities in Baltimore was continued as late as 1950, when improvements to the Number Two Pool at Druid Hill were financed. But by 1955, the Parks Commission announced a new policy of integration of all City facilities and in June, 1956, integrated pools were opened to the public.
In this place, we honor the many park users who vividly recall their personal
The Druid Hill Park courts were home to legions of local tennis greats. Top men's singles players included Warren Weaver, John Woods, Irvington Williams, and Douglas "Jocko" Henderson. A few of the outstanding women players were Evelyn Scott, Nellie Brisco, and Evelyn Freeman, who was women's singles champion of 1949 and 1950, and rates by the Baltimore Afro-American Newspaper as one of the top ten woman players in the country.
The pool, grove and tennis areas was designed as a memorial landscape to honor the memory of segregation and the struggle to overcome it. Working with project landscape architects and architects, African-American artist Joyce J. Scott designed the papvign pattern of the walkway through the grove and around the former pool. The pattern of meandering coiled and woven rope is based upon traditional African motifs symbolizing tranquility, safety and connections to community. The wave pattern on the roof of the men's changing building symbolizes water. The columns at the entry plaza mark the corners of the field house. The pool scupper, ladders and chair framework remain as elements of pool use.
Location. 39° 19.329′ N, 76° 38.404′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from Grove Road. Touch for map. Marker is in Druid Hill Park. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21217, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wagner (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Memory of Harvey J. Burns, Jr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Wallace (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eli Siegel (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Memorial Rose Garden (approx. 0.4 miles away); Breaking the Back of Segregation (approx. 0.4 miles away); Druid Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); These Citizens by Subscribing for the Park Stock in 1860 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Also see . . . Breaking the Back of Segregation. The exact location of the old tennis courts and the events described is commemorated by this historical marker. (Submitted on May 5, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,995 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.