Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bladensburg in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hilleary-Magruder House

Bladensburg Archaeology

 

—Star-Spangled Banner Historic Trail —

 
Hilleary-Magruder House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
1. Hilleary-Magruder House Marker
Inscription. The Hilleary-Magruder House was constructed circa 1742 and is the oldest building in Bladensburg, In 1763, Scottish merchant Richard Henderson bought the property . He lived here with his family and more than two dozen enslaved African Americans and indentured servants. Mr. Henderson was well connected. George Washington, on his way to Philadelphia, stopped here for dinner on May 9, 1887. He penned the following in his diary:

Crossed from Mt. Vernon to Mr. Digges a little after sunrise & pursuing the rout by way of Baltimore - dined at Mr. Richd. Hendersons in Bladensbg and lodged with Muir. Snowdens where feeling very serverly a violent hd. ach & sick Stomach I went to bed early.
 
Erected 2014 by The Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 38° 56.347′ N, 76° 56.266′ W. Marker is in Bladensburg, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450) and Kenilworth Avenue when traveling east on Annapolis Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4703 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg MD 20710, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Casualties of War (a few steps from this marker); The Market Square & Stone House
Two Markers image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
2. Two Markers
Hilleary-Magruder House marker is on the right.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bostwick (about 700 feet away); World War II Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); Peace Cross (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); British Stopover (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bostwick (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bladensburg.
 
Categories. African AmericansColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
Archaeology image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
3. Archaeology
In 2009, Maryland State Highway Administration archaeologists excavated around the yard to learn more about the early occupants of Bladensburg. They recovered fragments of broken dishes, bottle, and many personal items discarded by families over the last 250 years. Digging deeper, the archaeologists discovered stone tools and pottery sherds - direct evidence that Native Americans lived and hunted along the shores of the Anacostia River between 6,900 BC and AD 850.To learn more about the archaeology of Bladensburg, visit www.bladensburgarchaeology.com.
Close-up of photo on marker
Politics and Port image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
4. Politics and Port
The Henderson family dines with George Washington in 1787. Washington would become the first President of the newly formed United States two years later.
Close-up of Les Barker painting on marker
Politics and Port image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
5. Politics and Port
Washington discusses politics with Richard Henderson while an enslaved African American decants the port.
Close-up Les Barker painting on marker
Hilleary-Magruder House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 13, 2012
6. Hilleary-Magruder House
Hilleary-Magruder House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
7. Hilleary-Magruder House
Front Door image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
8. Front Door
DAR Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 2, 2014
9. DAR Plaque
Magruder House
Circa 1746
Placed by
Toaping Castle Chapter
NSDAR
The Magruder House Ca. 1746 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 13, 2012
10. The Magruder House Ca. 1746
Millard T. Charlton & Associates sign at Magruder House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 4, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement