Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
The Island was first fortified when the British founded Halifax in 1749. During the period of the Acadian Deportation, 1755 to 1762, the island was sometimes a detention camp for Acadians prior to being shipped to other British colonies. During the 19th century Halifax became a major British naval base and Georges Island one of an inter-connected system of harbour defences. As military technology changed, the defences of Georges Island were updated.
The island remained an important seaward defence after the Government of Canada took over the Halifax defences in 1906. Georges Island helped defend the harbour in both World Wars. The island became a national historic site in 1965.
L’île a d’abord été fortifiée au moment de la fondation d’Halifax par les Britanniques en 1749. Pendant le déportation des Acadiens, de 1755 à 1763, elle a servi, à l’occasion, de camp de détention pénible où un grand nombre d’Acadiens y étaient détenus avant d’être embarques dans des vaisseaux en direction d’autres colonies britanniques. Au XIXᵉ siècle, Halifax est devenu une importante base navale britannique et l’île Georges faisait partie du réseau des ouvrages de défense du port qui étaient reliés entre eux. Les défenses de l’île ont été adaptées à mesure que la technologie militaire évoluait.
Erected by Parks Canada.
Location. 44° 38.67′ N, 63° 34.094′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from Lower Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pier 21 (within shouting distance of this marker); France and Canada (within shouting distance of this marker); The Grand Dérangement (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); There Was Once a Very Special Ship (about 180 meters away); The Tall Ships Parade 2000 (about 180 meters away); Black-Binney House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Canadian Corps of Commissionaires (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Norway (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the Halifax waterfront, north of Bishop's Landing.
Also see . . . Georges Island (Nova Scotia) - Wikipedia. Georges Island (named after George II of Great Britain) is a glacial drumlin and the largest island entirely within the harbour limits of Halifax Harbour located in Nova Scotia's Halifax Regional Municipality. The Island is the location of Fort Charlotte - named after King George's wife Charlotte. 'Fort Charlotte was built during Father Le Loutre's War, a year after Citadel Hill (Fort George). The island is now a National Historic Site of Canada. (Submitted on October 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 324 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.