East Poultney in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Horace Greeley - George Jones
Noted journalists served apprenticeship near here
At the original settlement in East Poultney, Horace Greeley, founder of the "New York Tribune", worked on the "Northern Spectator", 1826-1830. George Jones, co-founder of the "N.Y.Times", also came from here.
Erected 1949 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Location. 43° 31.564′ N, 73° 12.33′ W. Marker is in East Poultney, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Main Street (Vermont Route 140) and Hillside Road, on the right when traveling east on E. Main Street. Touch for map. In front of the East Poultney Baptist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: On the Green, East Poultney VT 05741, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jeffrey Brace (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Oldest Union Church in America (approx. 0.2 miles away); Poultney Civil War Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Middletown Springs War Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away); A. W. Gray & Sons (approx. 5.3 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 5½ miles away); Matthew Lyon (approx. 5.6 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Poultney.
Also see . . .
1. Horace Greeley - Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 8, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. George Jones founder of New York Times - Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 8, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Communications • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on October 24, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photo 1. submitted on October 29, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.