Two Harbors in Lake County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Two Harbors Light Station - Agate Bay
You Are Here - The one acre site was purchased by the U.S. Government with construction of the lighthouse beginning in 1891. The Two Harbors Lighthouse Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Originally, a Fourth-order Fresnel Lens beamed over the lake. This lamp used oil and wicks. Part of the lighthouse keeper's duties was to ensure that it was clean and operating properly.
The current light apparatus was installed in 1970. It consists of two separate light beacons each with two 1,000 watt light bulbs and can be seen about 17 miles across the lake. The light has been continuously burning since 1892. This light is now a private aid to navigation maintained by the Lake County Historical Society.
Each light tower has its own distinct pattern of light. This one has .4 of light, 4.6 seconds of darkness, another .4 seconds of light and then 14.6 seconds of darkness. The pattern of light and darkness is the same now as when it was first started in 1892. Can you follow this pattern?
[Map key reads]
1. Light Tower This tower is 49 ft. 6 inches tall from the base to the top of the ventilator ball the light is 78 feet above the lake. The original light was a Fourth Order Fresnel lens which was replaced in 1970 with electric beacons. Each light has its own unique
2. Keeper's Home The Keeper's House is directly attached to the light tower. This four bedroom, 35 foot square brick building provided the Keeper and his family with a comfortable life.
3. Oil House This small red brick building was used to store oil and kerosene needed for fueling in the light.
4. Skiff House This building was used for several purposes including storage for a skiff (small boat).
5. Fog Signal Building This original building housed the steam compressors used to generate pressure to operate the fog horns. There were two compressors, one reserved as a back up system.
6. Assistant Keeper's Home This building was used to house an Assistant Keeper and his family. Occasionally there would be two Assistants for the light, with one of them living in town.
Erected by Lake County Historical Society.
Location. 47° 0.828′ N, 91° 39.846′ W. Marker is in Two Harbors, Minnesota, in Lake County. Touch for map. Marker is about 75 feet southwest of the Two Harbors Light Station, located at the south end of 3rd Street, near the Agate Bay Breakwater. Marker is in this post office area: Two Harbors MN 55616, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Two Harbors Light Station (a few steps from this marker); Crusader II (within shouting distance of this marker); Two Harbors Breakwater (within shouting distance of this marker); Agate Bay Commercial Fishing Village (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hand Car, Velocipede, Sleigh, Station Wagon (approx. half a mile away); D&IR Railroad Company Sleigh (approx. half a mile away); First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Two Harbors.
Also see . . .
1. Two Harbors Light Station Historic American Engineering Record. (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Two Harbors Light Station. (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Two Harbors Light Station Bed & Breakfast Lighthouse History. (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.