Near Lueders in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1900, the Webb and Hill Land and Cattle Company bought the Goethe & Fuchs Ranch on the Clear Fork and developed the town of Lueders. In the same year, limestone rock quarries opened and the Texas Central Railroad extended their tracks here from Albany. The new community soon had a school, post office, cotton gins and businesses. A graveyard in a pasture near Rhomberg Street served Lueders citizens from about 1902-06. Hand digging graves at that site became impractical because of thick layers of limestone.
In 1907, John M. Roberts, Clark Henry King and Mrs. E.V. Risley donated land for a new Lueders cemetery, also later known as Clear Fork Cemetery. The site abutted the railroad tracks of the Texas Central (later the MKT). For many years, pallbearers carried caskets up the
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16870.)
Location. 32° 46.249′ N, 99° 36.916′ W. Marker is near Lueders, Texas, in Jones County. Marker can be reached from County Road 203 0.7 miles south of County Road 205, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lueders TX 79533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Country Baptist Assembly (approx. 2 miles away); Bud Matthews Switch of the Texas Central Railway (approx. 6.2 miles away); Butterfield Overland Mail The Cable Tool Oil Field (approx. 6.9 miles away); Smith's Station (approx. 7 miles away); Cold War Hardline Communications Pit (approx. 7.4 miles away); Swan's Chapel (approx. 8.8 miles away); Bethel Lutheran Church (approx. 8.8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Lueders, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on November 26, 2014.)
2. Lueders Cemetery. From the findagrave.com website. (Submitted on November 26, 2014.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.