Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Missionaries sent by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church held services for the Centreville community settlers at this site in the early 1820's. John Slade, known as the "Father of Methodism in Florida," organized the "Society" at Pisgah on May 3, 1830, with thirty-four charter members. During the Ante-Bellum period, Pisgah became one of the leading churches in Middle Florida. Charter members Jacob Felkel and his wife Rose Anne deeded seven acres to the church's trustees on December 12, 1858, for $125.00. Under the leadership of presiding elder Simon Peter Richardson and the pastor, Robert Hudson Howren, the present building was erected at that time at a cost of $5,200. (Continued on Reverse Side)
Pisgah is one of the oldest remaining church structures in Florida. Architecturally significant, it is representative of early church design. Special features include hand-hewn box pews and galleries lighted by clerestory windows. The new sanctuary was dedicated on May 1, 1859, by the Reverend Richardson, who returned in 1863 to serve as pastor. While at Pisgah he was elected Captain of the Centreville "Old Guard" the local home defense unit. Pisgah has served as a cultural
Erected 1973 by the Old Pisgah United Methodist Church In Cooperation With Department of State. (Marker Number F-213.)
Location. 30° 33.135′ N, 84° 9.461′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is on Pisgah Church Road 0.2 miles east of Centerville Road (County Road 151), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7000 Pisgah Church Road, Tallahassee FL 32309, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Florida (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Mission Of San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Journey Ends (approx. 6.9 miles away); Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent (approx. 7.8 miles away); Under Cover of Corn (approx. 8 miles away); Chaires Historic District The "Luraville Locomotive" (approx. 8.7 miles away); Goodwood Mansion (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
Also see . . . History of the Pisgah United Methodist Church. (Submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.