Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chattahoochee in Gadsden County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Apalachicola Arsenal

Officer's Quarters and Guard Room

 
 
Apalachicola Arsenal - Officer's Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
1. Apalachicola Arsenal - Officer's Quarters Marker
Inscription. The Apalachicola Arsenal, originally known as the Mt. Vernon Arsenal, was built by the United States Army and served as an arms depot during the Second Seminole Indian War. Construction began in 1832, and was completed in 1839. The original compound consisted of nine buildings in a 400 ft. by 400 ft. quadrangle behind a 12-foot high, 30-inch-thick perimeter wall, plus other outbuildings. The U.S. Army maintained the arsenal until 1861, when it was taken over by Confederate troops. Following the Civil War, the arsenal was used by the Freedman's Bureau until 1868, and then as the state's first penitentiary. In 1876, it became the first mental health hospital in Florida.
This structure incorporates three of the arsenal's original buildings: an office, guard room, and officer's quarters. It later served as the hospital administrator's residence. The building features a two-story gallery ornamented by decorative brackets. Although portions of the gallery have been enclosed, the building retains much of its imposing historic appearance. Segments of the original perimeter wall are visible at both ends of this building.
A Florida Heritage Landmark

 
Erected 2014 by Florida State Hospital The Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of State.
Apalachicola Arsenal - Officer's Quarters image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
2. Apalachicola Arsenal - Officer's Quarters
(Marker Number F-810.)
 
Location. 30° 42.388′ N, 84° 50.311′ W. Marker is in Chattahoochee, Florida, in Gadsden County. Marker is on Holly Drive 0.2 miles north of West Washington Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Holly Drive, Chattahoochee FL 32324, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 0.4 miles away); United States Arsenal (1832-1861) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Ellicott's Observatory (approx. 0.8 miles away); Nicolls' Outpost (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sneads (approx. 5.2 miles away); Joshua Davis House (approx. 7 miles away); Camp Recovery (approx. 7 miles away in Georgia); Sabacola El Menor (approx. 7.2 miles away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattahoochee.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Explore Southern History article on the arsenal. (Submitted on December 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. LandmarksScience & MedicineWar, US CivilWars, US Indian
 
Looking north on Holly Drive. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
3. Looking north on Holly Drive.
Apalachicola Arsenal Warehouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
4. Apalachicola Arsenal Warehouse
Part of the original Gun Carriage Storage facility and exterior wall of the arsenal. The second story of the building is an addition.
Apalachicola Arsenal image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
5. Apalachicola Arsenal
Apalachicola Arsenal restored Powder Magazine image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
6. Apalachicola Arsenal restored Powder Magazine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement