Corning in Steuben County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Concert Hall Block
—Corning’s Gaﬀer District —
The third floor boasted a 75' by 70' hall in constant use for public meetings, concerts, and balls and was the center of Masonic activities from the 1870’s until 1920. The first floor has housed a variety of mercantile establishments.
In 1918, the Wellington Bank moved from the Dickinson house diagonally across the street to the west half of the first floor on this location and in 1920 was reorganized as the Corning Trust Company; in 1948 it became the Lincoln First Bank.
The west half of the façade of the first story was changed to stone in the Neo-Classic style in 1920. The entire third story was removed in 1951 and the brick was covered with Kentucky limestone.
Location. 42° 8.6′ N, 77° 3.263′ W. Marker is in Corning, New York, in Steuben County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street and Pine Street, on the right when traveling east on East Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 E Market St, Corning NY 14830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Market Street Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Galvin and Haines Insurance (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ecker Drug Store (about 500 feet away); At This Location an Alliance of Prosperity was Formed (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); City of Corning (about 600 feet away); The Southern Tier Roller Mills (about 600 feet away); Erie Avenue (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corning.
Regarding Concert Hall Block. “Concert Hall Block” is the name of this building.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 29, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.