Near New Martinsville in Wetzel County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Marshall County / Wetzel County
Formed, 1835, from Ohio and named for Chief Justice John Marshall. In Marshall County is Grave Creek Mound, first among remains left by the unknown race which lived in the Ohio Valley centuries before the white man came.
Formed in 1846 from Tyler. Named for Lewis Wetzel, the great frontiersman who, with his brothers during Indian days, ranged the settlements from their home in Marshall County throughout northern West Virginia.
Location. 39° 43.199′ N, 80° 49.373′ W. Marker is near New Martinsville, West Virginia, in Wetzel County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 2 0.7 miles north of West Virginia Route 89, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Martinsville WV 26155, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason-Dixon Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Cedar Curve Cemetery / Funerals in the Early 1800s (approx. 3½ miles away); Zachary Taylor (was approx. 5.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); George Rogers Clark (was approx. 5.7 miles away Baker's Station (was approx. 5.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Levi Morgan (approx. 6 miles away); New Martinsville (approx. 6 miles away); Adena Burial Mound (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Martinsville.
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 11, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.