Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
The town was not attacked. Several homes associated with war veterans remain, including Hynson-Ringgold House, Widehall, and Dougherty Barroll House.
Judge and Congressman Joseph Hopper Nicholson resided at Dougherty Barroll House on High Street. He commanded a volunteer company, the Baltimore Fencibles, at Fort McHenry during the bombardment. Brother-in-law to Francis Scott Key, Nicholson is credited with the first publication of Key’s lyrics for the “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Joseph H. Nicholson image/Maryland Historical Society.
(Inscription under the photo in the upper left)
Hynson-Ringgold House, c. 1914 Image/Courtesy Kevin Hemstock
(Inscription under the photo in the lower center)
Widehall, c. 1900 Image/Courtesy Kevin Hemstock
(Inscription under the photo on the right)
Star-Spangled Banner, 1814. Image/Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is
Location. 39° 12.534′ N, 76° 3.948′ W. Marker is in Chestertown, Maryland, in Kent County. Marker is on High Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in At War Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Chestertown MD 21620, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Revolution Memorial (here, next to this marker); War of 1812 Memorial (here, next to this marker); Civil War Monument (a few steps from this marker); White & Black, Blue & Gray (a few steps from this marker); A County Seat (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of More Than 400 Prominent United States Colored Troops from Kent County (within shouting distance of this marker); This Monument Honors the Area Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); John Leeds Barroll (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chestertown.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.