Thibodaux in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Mount Carmel Academy
venerable pastor of St. Joseph Church,
foreseeing the need for Catholic education
of Thibodaux youth, purchased land and built
a school for girls on this site.
The Sisters of Mt. Carmel bought the property and
building, operating the school from 1855 until
the Thibodaux Central Catholic High School
(E.D. White Catholic High School) opened in 1965.
In 1947 the Sisters erected here the first
school gymnasium in Lafourche Parish which
also served as a community center.
Erected by Archdiocesan Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 29° 47.893′ N, 90° 48.929′ W. Marker is in Thibodaux, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker is at the intersection of East 1st Street (State Highway `) and St. Charles Street, on the right when traveling east on East 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East 1st Street, Thibodaux LA 70301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rienzi Plantation House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lafourche Parish Court House (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Joseph Cemetery Our Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); The St. Joseph Cemetery Calvary-Grotto Shrine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Joseph Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Joseph Co-Cathedral (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thibodaux.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.