Rossville in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Iowa State Monument
the sacrifice of our fallen brothers
and our purpose
to perpetuate their memory
by citizenship worthy
of the heritage they left us,
a re-united and glorious union.
[Left Side, Top]
Ridge, four Iowa Regiments were engaged
on the Confederate right flank, six
others with battery on the Confederate
left and rear. The movement from
Rossville brought the latter past this
position, ending later in the assault
upon the ridge, and two days afterwards
in the battle of Ringgold, GA.
[Left Side, Bottom]
achievements and renders you her
homage and gratitude and with exultant
heart claims you as her sons.
[Right Side, Bottom]
of all her soldiers who took part
in the Battles of Lookout Mountain
Missionary Ridge and Ringgold.
[Text around the base of the monument, from front, going clockwise around base of monument]
1st Battery Lieut.
James M. Williams
Col. Milo Smith
Col. George A. Stone
Col. Clark R. Wever
Col. David Carskaddon
Lieut. Col. A.J.Miller
Col. Jabez Banbury
Erected 1906 by State of Iowa. (Marker Number MT-193AB.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Iowa Reservation, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 marker series.
Location. 34° 59.023′ N, 85° 16.772′ W. Marker is in Rossville, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is at the intersection of Chickamauga Avenue (U.S. 27) and West Crest Road, on the right when traveling north on Chickamauga Avenue. Touch for map. This historical monument is a significant presence situated on the northeast corner of the street intersection, in a small park known as the Iowa Reservation, with several additional markers. Marker is in this post office area: Rossville GA 30741, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Rossville Gap (a few steps from this marker); 27th U.S. Missouri Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Woods' Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Osterhaus' Division (within shouting distance of this marker); Cruft's Division (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); 24th Ohio Infantry (approx. ¼ mile away in Tennessee); a different marker also named Cruft's Division (approx. ¼ mile away in Tennessee); 40th Ohio Infantry (approx. ¼ mile away in Tennessee). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rossville.
More about this marker. The Iowa Monument was built in 1906. Its architect was Van Amringe Co. of Boston, MA. The monument stands 72' high and is 20' square at the base. The pedestal incorporates an outline map of Iowa with three granite statues at corners & a shaft in form of a square column that supports statue of a Union color-bearer. The Iowa Monument was moved 30' in 1962 for road re-location. It is recorded in the National Park list of structures as structure number MT-193AB.
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on March 18, 2015, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on June 9, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on June 10, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.