Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
500 Center Street Archaeological Site
Prehistoric artifacts recovered from the site include a Brewerton Side Notched projectile point (arrowhead) made of Onondaga chert, dating to 4000-1700 BC, a chert scraper used for hide processing, and pieces of debris from stone tool manufacture. These items indicate that Native Americans visited this location as early as six thousand years ago.
The house located on this house dates to the mid 19th century. Records for the building and lot show that Dr. Ambrose Thomas built the dwelling before 1855, and it became owned and occupied by Dr. Edward Smith, son of pioneer doctor Willard Smith, who began the first Niagara County Medical society. It is assumed that Dr. Edward Smith probably obtained the house in 1855. Dr. Smith employed another smaller structure on the site (no longer standing) as his office. In the early 20th century, the smaller structure was used by a local cobbler as a shoemaker's shop. When Dr. Smith died, the practice was purchased by Dr. T.A. Kerr. The house was subsequently owned by Dr. C.A. Shepard in 1902, and occupied by the Silberg family whose store was across Center Street in the former Calvin Hotchkiss
The archaeological work on this site recovered many artifacts related to the activities of both the physicians and the cobbler. Among the items associated with medical activities are test tube fragments, pieces of a sphygmomanometer, medicine bottles, pill boxes, a pharmacist's mortar, and denture fragments. Artifacts used by the cobbler include shoe leather, shoe buckles, pieces of an ammonia bottle, a bottle for boot black and numerous metal containers. Other items - including fragments of tableware, glass beverage bottles, buttons, smoking pipies, perfume bottles, and cut bones from livestock - shed light on the everyday activities at this site.
Archaeological investigations were conducted by Panamerican Consultants, Inc. of Buffalo for First Niagara Bank.
First Niagara Bank also wishes to thank The Lewiston Museum for their assistance in developing information for this plaque.
Erected by First Niagara Bank.
Location. 43° 10.373′ N, 79° 2.448′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Center Street, Lewiston NY 14092, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Long and The Short House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kiwanians Promoting Peace (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Little Yellow House - 1816 (about 300 feet away); Kelsey Tavern (about 400 feet away); Hennepin Hall (about 400 feet away); The Cibola Anchor (about 500 feet away); The First Religious Society of Lewiston (about 700 feet away); Underground Railroad Station #6 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Categories. • Native Americans • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 2, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.