Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Reunions and Memorials
In May 1901, the United Confederate Veterans held a reunion here in an 18,000-seat structure named Confederate Hall. More than 125,000 visitors participated in activities, including a parade led by former generals John B. Gordon, Fitzhugh Lee, and Joseph Wheeler.
During the Progressive era, Park Commissioner Robert Galloway suggested that Confederate Park be one of three small urban parks within a 1,750-acre system. Civilian Conservation Corps workers built the rock wall in 1937. The park contains a statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, who lived in Memphis temporarily after the war, and a bust of Captain J. Harvey Mathes, who served in the Army of Tennessee and later edited the
(lower left) Confederate Park, ca. 1910- Courtesy Library of Congress
(upper center) Medical Cadet Charles R. Ellet raising U.S. flag over Memphis post office, Harper’s Weekly, July 5, 1862
(upper right) Memphis levee from the bluff, 1906 - Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps, and the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 8.814′ N, 90° 3.264′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Front Street and Jefferson Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located in Confederate Park. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Naval Battle of Memphis, 1862 (a few steps from this marker); Memphis and Shelby County Medical Society Jefferson Davis Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate History of Memphis (within shouting distance of this marker); Elizabeth Avery Meriwether (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. J. Harvey Mathes (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia ("Ginnie") Bethel Moon (within shouting distance of this marker); Cobblestone Landing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
1. Park names changed.
Confederate Park has been renamed Memphis Park, Jefferson Davis Park has been renamed Mississippi River Park, all in the name of being PC. The name changes were quickly done, in 2013, just before the State of Tennessee passed a bill, the "Tennessee Heritage Protection Act of 2013" to prevent such name changes.
— Submitted September 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 590 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 24, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.