Union Springs in Bullock County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Union Springs, Alabama
In the early 1800s, settlers coming from the Carolinas and Georgia received land grants and some purchased land from the Indians. They settled and cleared the forest for new farms and plantations in what would become a newly formed State of Alabama (1819). This same area would become Macon County in 1832. African men, women, and children were brought in as slaves tending fields, doing carpentry work, becoming brick masons, and serving in the homes of their owners in various capacities. Merchants, cabinetmakers, carpenters, tavern operators, livery stable operators, physicians, lawyers, teachers, and ministers followed to sell their wares and service the needs of the people. On January 13, 1844, Governor Benjamin Fitzpatrick signed legislation giving Union Springs, a community in Macon County, a corporate existence. On March 13, 184, William H. Waugh, the first Intendant, and Councilmen James A. Jones, August C. Hawkins, John B. Coleman, J. T. Coxe, Micajah N. Eley, Cicero Broome, and M. D. Farris were sworn into office by H. H. Smith, Justice of the Peace. The War Between the States ended in 1865 and all slaves were freed.
On December 5, 1866, Bullock County was created out of portions of Macon, Barbour, Pike, and Montgomery Counties. Union Springs was selected as its county seat. County officials were elected and a jail and courthouse
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Union Springs.
Location. 32° 8.726′ N, 85° 42.961′ W. Marker is in Union Springs, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on North Prairie Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Across North Prairie Street from the Bullock County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Union Springs AL 36089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bullock County Courthouse Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Trinity Episcopal Church/Red Door Theater (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log Cabin Museum/Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School (approx. 4.8 miles away); Aberfoil Community (approx. 5.6 miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union Springs.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Union Springs. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 675 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on May 15, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.