Selma in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Defense of Selma Memorial
Here fell brave men
in defense of their homes
April 2, 1865.
Col. William T. Minter
Rev. Arthur M. Small
Robert N. Philpot
and other valiant soldiers
“They fought and fell
they served us well"
Lest We Forget
Erected 1907 by Selma Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 32° 25.61′ N, 87° 0.849′ W. Marker is in Selma, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Range Street and 4th Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Range Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Selma AL 36703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tabernacle Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Tabernacle Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Grassroots Movement (approx. 0.9 miles away); Turning Point First Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); George Washington Carver Neighborhood (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lewis Scott (approx. 0.9 miles away); Last Stronghold Falls (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Selma.
Also see . . . Battle of Selma. CWSAC summary of the battle of Selma. The action was fought near the close of the Civil War. Confederate forces under General N.B. Forrest, including militia and volunteers, faced Federal cavalry under General James Wilson. Wilson's forces were conducting a raid through Alabama and Georgia. (Submitted on November 8, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Defense of Selma Memorial.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,183 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on May 22, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.