First Printing House of the Evangelical Association
The first two volumes released by the printing house in 1817 were a revision of the denomination's Discipline (essentially a German version of the theologically similar Methodist Episcopal Church) and a new hymnbook Das Geistliche Saitenspiel (The Spiritual Psaltery). Within twenty years the operation had outgrown the original small building. A larger facility for the printing press, bindery operations and living quarters was purchased on the northeast corner of Market and Plum Streets. The publishing house
As compensation for losing the publishing house, New Berlin was named as the inaugural site for Union Seminary, the denomination's first permanent educational institution and the forerunner of Albright College. The second printing house building then served as a girls' dormitory from 1854 until it was sold in 1864.
Location. 40° 52.585′ N, 76° 59.109′ W. Marker is in New Berlin, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Berlin PA 17855, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Church Building and Printing House of the Evangelical Association (a few steps from this marker); United Methodist Sites in New Berlin (a few steps from this marker); First Church of the Evangelical Association (a few steps from this marker); "Albright's People" (a few steps from this marker); Evangelical Church (approx. half a mile away); John Jacob LeRoy (approx. 3 miles away); Leroy Massacre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fought's Mill (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Berlin.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for First Printing House of the Evangelical Association.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.