Jackson’s Lock and the Port of Reading
One of the Original 120 Locks Creating the Schuylkill Navigation System
Designed by William Hildebrand of John A. Roebling Son’s Co. of Trenton, New Jersey, this footbridge was constructed between 1886 and 1887 and provided a safe pedestrian route spanning the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad lines at the Outer Station in North Reading. The bridge was dismantled in 1983, and one of the two steel support towers was relocated here to Heritage Park, where today it serves as the Workers Memorial tower.
(Inscription over the image on the left)
Model of Jackson’s Lock-Built by Glenn Weinrich, Housed at the River Place Development Corporation-Photographed by Bob Behling.
Captain John Heister’s excursion boats “Rosa” and “Currie” above Jackson’s Lock-Historical Society of Berks County
(Inscription above the image in the upper right)
View from Penn Street Bridge looking north, Reading Canal foreground. Leinbach’s Hill at left, Lebanon Valley Railroad at center. C. Late 1800s.
This project has been supported in part by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, and by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources through the Schuylkill River Heritage Area Grant Program.
Erected by Port of Reading Herigage Trail.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Union Canal marker series.
Location. 40° 19.444′ N, 75° 55.585′ W. Marker is in Reading, Pennsylvania, in Berks County. Marker is on Canal Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in Heritage Park. Marker is in this post office area: Reading PA 19602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Maurer (within shouting distance of this marker); Hunter Liggett (approx. 0.6 miles away); Doctor Jonathan Potts (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dr. Bodo Otto
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 271 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.