West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Northwood Historic District
1884, The Reverend Elbridge Gale retired to the area later to be known as Old Northwood. He was the first to build a cabin on the west side of Lake Worth. Gale grew mango trees and one of his trees became the first grafted Mangonia to bear fruit. The well know Haden variety was developed from the seeds of this tree. Gale's home was known as Mangonia. During the Florida land boom of the 1920's the pinewood development company led by David M. Dunkle purchased 400 acres and 173 contributing structures were built between 1921 and 1929 consisting of Frame Vernacular, Mission-Style and Mediterranean Homes. Over 50 individual builders built at least one house in the area. Notable architects include John Volk, William Manley King, and T.B. Eissfeldt. One of the districts most unique features is the network of alleys that allow access to garages and other services. Old Northwood remained a prestigious middle-class neighborhood into the 1960s. After two decades of blight the Old Northwood Neighborhood Association was formed in 1987. Old Northwood became the first designated historic district in West Palm Beach in 1991 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
Sponsored by the Old Northwood Neighborhood Association and the Florida Department of State
Erected 2006 by Old Northwood Neighborhood Association and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-586.)
Location. 26° 44.676′ N, 80° 3.271′ W. Marker is in West Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is on Spruce Avenue south of 35th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3510 Spruce Ave, West Palm Beach FL 33407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Evergreen Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Hurricane of 1928 Mass Burial Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); Duck's Nest (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bethesda-By-The-Sea (approx. 1.1 miles away); Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory c.1921 (approx. 1.8 miles away); West Palm Beach Fishing Club (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old St. Ann's Church (approx. 2 miles away); 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Palm Beach.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2015, by Maggie Prats Lora of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 234 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on June 21, 2015, by Maggie Prats Lora of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on September 13, 2016, by Pavel Tulisov of Boca Raton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.