La Grange in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old City Cemetery
Fourteen townswomen on April 17, 1873, formed what was probably the first such organization in Texas when they organized the Ladies' Cemetery Association of La Grange. Mrs. L.W. Moore was the first president. Since that time, this association has maintained and administered city cemetery. Annual decoration day, started in 1874, honors those resting here including many of the pioneers who fought for Texas freedom.
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 873.)
Location. 29° 54.625′ N, 96° 52.126′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is on North College Street north of East Travis Street (Business Texas Highway 71), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange TX 78945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fayette County, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1867 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bradshaw-Killough House City Library Building (approx. half a mile away); The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Dawson Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fayette County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.